Saturday, April 20, 2013

Hey Ma

From Evernote:

Hey Ma

Hey Ma,

We left Firenzia today and caught a ride to Luestra Signa, arriving at Villa Pandolfini, where we will spend the next week. The villa is incredible; like I said on the phone the other day, it's so real it seems make believe. Granny, Joan, Rita and I took a short walk around the old-walled town which dates to somewhere in the 1300's. We happend to be there in what appears to be nap time, because when we arrived we were the only souls around. But we found a gelato shop which was open and I made my first mistake of the day. I opened the freezer clearly marked, Do Not Open. Clear, I guess, if you can read Italian, but my ignorance made me empathetic towards anecdotes from home where people say, "can't you read?" or "Don't you speak English?" The girl at the shop was nice though and between her and her collegue, I was able to figure out that the goodies I was opening were not gelato but Italian Ice. For some reason, I was drawn to the Limon.


Oh. My. Goodness. Far from home, this little, sticked, ice pop transported me to the backyard of 2028 Chester Avenue. Those Tupperware pops you used to make us with Lemonade, do you remember? They were plastic cups that hung on a little rack, and after pouring the lemonade into the cups you snapped on a little top with a plastic stick before sticking it into the freezer. Those were the best! This popsicle I ate in Luestra Signa was the same taste, the same soft icy texture, and gave me the same brain freeze. I immediatley thought of you and wanted to let you know.

Love you and miss you,

Paul

P.S. If you see those little cups around send some to China, my boys will love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment